The Carl Doty Art Scholarship
May 1, 2017
This scholarship is in honour of Yarmouthian Carl Doty- philanthropist, patron of the arts, supporter of the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia and the Friends of the AGNS Western Branch Society.
The scholarship, valued at $1500, is to offset the costs of tuition/training of a student who is in his or her final year in high school, community college or home schooling in Yarmouth, Digby or Shelburne, who intends to study art in a recognized program (or setting) of higher learning.
The scholarship is administered by the executive of the Friends of the AGNS Western Branch Society along with a designated member of the Yarmouth Arts Society. All applicants will be advised of the results, and the recipient will be recognized at their graduation ceremony. A cheque will be sent directly to the intuition once proof of enrollment is provided.
The completed application form (attached) including artwork, personal essay and sealed reference letter from an art teacher/instructor must be received at the Art Gallery by May 1, 2017 .
Friends of the AGNS Western Branch Society
PO Box 246 Yarmouth NS B5A 4B2
Physical address: 341 Main Street, Yarmouth 9entrance on Alma Square)
- The applicant must submit three (3) original pieces. Each work must be identified with your name, title and address.
- A drawing of a chair, tree or your hand.
- A design (art work) using three (3) colours only.
- A piece of your work that exemplifies your particular interest (painting, etching, sculpture, photography etc.)
- The applicant must submit a personal essay, maximum 600 words. The essay must cover these three points:
- Insights into the three pieces of art you have submitted.
- Your future plans.
- Tell us something about who you are.
- The applicant must provide a sealed letter of reference from and art teacher/instructor.
The Carl Doty Art Scholarship – APPLICATION FORM
Date of application:
Mailing Address (including Postal Code)
Name of school currently attending:
Name of post-secondary institution or training program you plan to attend:
Art work #1 Drawing
Title and medium:
Art work #2 Design using three colours
Title and Medium:
Art work #3 Work of choice
Title and Medium:
My application includes three pieces of artwork as specified. The artwork is original and is mine. I agree to leave my work in the care of the Friends of the AGNS Western Branch Society for up to three months in case there is an opportunity to display it. I will pick up my work between Aug. 1-15, 2017. Along with this application form, I have submitted the three works of art, my essay and a sealed letter of reference.
STATEMENT BY THE APPLICANT’S ART TEACHER/INSTRUCTOR:
To the best of my knowledge, the works submitted are the original work of the applicant. I believe the applicant is qualified to enter the indicated post secondary program he/ she has indicated.